Although the number of people buying used bikes has increased in recent times, the number of cases of fraud is also increasing. As a result, Shashidhar Nandigam, Chief Managing Officer, CRDR (UFI), has given some important suggestions on what exactly consumers should take care of while buying these used bikes. They are as follows.
There are currently over 200 million two-wheelers on Indian roads. At the same time, consumers should look for used bikes that are in good condition and will save them a lot of money. Consumers are struggling to find such bikes and often they are deceived by both the sellers and the dealers. The market for used bikes is huge, but nonetheless, customers experience a very frustrating customer experience when dealing with small to large vendors. In such a situation, it is important for the consumer to understand the market for used bikes and how to choose the right vehicle.
- Company should be reputable: The most important thing to consider here is that those who want to buy a good quality used bike at a reasonable price should buy a reputable, after-sales service, insurance and other value added services, a company / brand that can offer all in one place.
- Consider the budget: When buying a used bike, buyers should consider buying a bike that is very affordable and does not include any additional factors such as additional taxes and devaluation. Other factors such as quality, age of the bike, price of the brand and availability of the bike you want should be taken into consideration while deciding your budget.
- Practice: Find out about this topic online as well as through vendors and expect real, realistic results for this purchase. This is important. Because no model / brand of bike can match their needs exactly. In addition, customer feedback, reviews, scores on other vendors should be checked. It is always better to buy two-wheeler brands with good ratings and good customer feedback on the online platform.
- Beware of scams: The market for used bikes in India is still very unorganized, so beware of scammers and fraudsters. Here customers need to be aware. They should be careful not to buy such bikes from an individual or from a reputable, reputable vendor named after a reputable vendor on the street.
- Home Test Ride: Before finalizing the purchase, the customer should consider taking a ‘trial run’ of the vehicle. It gives you an idea of how comfortable it is to ride your chosen bike, how it performs on the road, how the brakes and other components work. Customers should make good use of such services.
- Warranty Period / After Sales Benefits: When choosing a used bike option, it is advisable to check the expiration date of the warranty and the duration of the exchange facility. If such issues are clearly verified, you can return the purchased two-wheeler if you find the quality of the two-wheeler unsatisfactory or replace it with a new two-wheeler.
Increase in used vehicle purchases after Corona
- India’s online automobile transactional platform Drum recently announced a significant increase in sales of used vehicles in the first half of 2021. According to his survey, personal mobility has become the preferred mode of transportation due to the epidemic. This has led to a significant increase in sales of four-wheelers and two-wheelers.
- Among the four-wheelers, Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza is the best-selling car and premium cars like Baleno, Honda City and Hyundai Verna are also popular. The Bajaj Pulsar is the most popular vehicle in the two-wheeler category, followed by the Honda Activa 3G and TVS Apache’s RTR. The Kawasaki Ninja and Mercedes-Benz E-Class are the most popular luxury bikes and cars in the luxury vehicle category, respectively.
- Low incomes or job losses during this period created financial uncertainty for many people. As a result, consumers are more inclined to accept used vehicles, said Sandeep Agarwal, founder and CEO of Drum.
- Document Verification: It is important to check all the relevant documents like insurance, RC book, chassis number, date of manufacture and pollution certificate before buying a used bike. If you have a previous loan on the car, you must have a bank hypothecation certificate. After paying the RTO and checking the vehicle documents, you will be able to know which offenses etc. have been registered on the bike of your choice. Nowadays, it has become very easy to get duplicate documents. Therefore, consumers need to be scrutinized very carefully to avoid fraud by sellers by providing such documents.